Thursday, August 19, 2010

starting the nursery....

We decided... ok well I decided that we were going to redo some furniture for the babies room. I had it all planned in my head and thought, 'oh this will be easy!' We have 3 pieces to redo, one we are borrowing, and one being built for us by my awesome sister and her husband.
These are our first two projects......


First: the dresser!!

BEFORE




















AFTER.. This one wasn't to bad. just a coat of primer, and 2 coats of paint. changed the handles, (these one's were light wooden ones and we just stained them to match the crib)






2nd Project: Crib #1
This crib has been in our family since my oldest brother was born. (a little over 40 years)
My grandpa Elmo built it and my mom did the staining and painting. There have been tons of babies who have slept in this.. Including me, until I was 5 and got a bunk bed to share with my sisters. And lots of my nieces and nephews have taken a turn in this bad boy! It is an awesome crib, just a little out dated... So with my mothers permission we refinished it.
BEFORE


It took us about 4 days to finish it... 2 of which were sanding! I hate sanding now!!! We have an electric sander which helped a lot but we seriously went through like 30 sanding pads because the stain was in there good!!! All I have to say is my mom is awesome at doing furniture because who else could have done that 40 years ago and still had it looking so good?
Anyway, through trial and error we got it done and I think it looks Amazing!!!
AFTER!!
I just want to give a special thanks to my hubby!! Who did most of the work (because I am pregnant and could only stand the heat and wearing a crazy mask for so long!~)
I love you honey!! Thanks for all the hard work you do! :)
Now all I need to do is get the rest of the furniture in, and make matching bedding (I would buy but this crib is not a normal size and I need something to occupy myself for the next few months of "rest and no work" as my doctor puts it.) I'll post more pictures as we get more done!!
Needless to say, my whole "oh this is easy" thinking was obviously WRONG! and it was way more difficult than I thought. But I think the end result turned out awesome:)

1 comment:

Mangelson's said...

Oh they turned out soooo cute and I do think the stain that I used on my table is going to match perfectly.