Thursday, August 18, 2011

This Bag


Today as I was putting away dishes everything was going pretty normal.  I put the plates away in their cupboard,  the silverware in their drawer but as I put the baby bottles up in their cupboard something caught my eye.  For some reason I looked passed my day-to-day normal activity and saw this... this bag



To anyone else, this bag is just another thing someone shoved in a cupboard.  But this bag, to me, brings back so many memories.  For just over a month....
every morning I would pull it out of the cupboard,
put in an icepack
take 6 BRIGHT orange bottles out of the fridge
make sure they were labeled correctly
put them in this bag
and zip it up.
Then I would load this bag along with everything else I needed for the day into the car
go pick Kole up from work
then we would park in a church parking lot
gather up all of our stuff including this bag
walk across the street
into a building
up the elevator
through a set of doors.
We would then put the bag down while we scrubbed our hands and up our arms.
I would take this bag into a little room
unzip it
take out the orange bottles
load them into another fridge/freezer.
When I was done I would take this bag  out of the room
around a big desk
through some big glass sliding doors
and place it on the floor
next to the chair that I spent so many hours in.
When I was all done I would take this bag all the way home
and the next day we would start all over again.

This bag is what I would put my babies milk in while they were in the NICU.
I spent a lot of time with this bag.
So to many of you reading this, it is just another bag. 
But to me it is a memory.


I don't know why today I am being so sentimental, but sometimes it just hits you.  Remembering all that we went through as a family and what we have gone through to get to where we are now, really puts things in perspective.
I am so grateful for my husband and my healthy, crazy, clingy boys.  I love each and everyone of them more than I could ever put into words.
When life gets hard, or stressful, I am  thankful for these little reminders of all the blessing I have.

4 comments:

Jordan said...

I didnt have a bag like that while we were in the NICU but I do know all too well about the hand scrubbing and the doors and the whole 9 yards. I'm so thankful for the NICU and how they helped my baby boy. I hope to see you and your boys at the NICU reunion in October:]

The Ramsay's said...

we will be there for sure!

Mangelson's said...

Love you sis!!

The brackens said...

Not gonna lie, I sorta got teary eyed reading your post!!! I am so glad your boys are home, and healthy.. and I know that it was hard at first, but you ALL made it through!!! YAY!!! Love ya Tabs!!!