Last night as I was going to sleep I had one big question running through my head. How in the heck did my mom and dad have TEN children and not pull out all their hair or end up in an insane asylum?!?
Yes, My mom and dad had 10 children, all different ages and yes I'm sure it was nice to have older children help with the younger children but seriously How did they do it?
My reasoning for this question that was on my mind was because I had one heck of a day yesterday.. it was a great morning, I hung out with one of my sisters and a niece who is helping me with a calendar for my husband while he is away. It was even good when she left to have a fun-much needed break with her husband in vegas. And it was still running smoothly when two of my other sisters decided to go to the mall. At the mall there was in our group: 4 adults, 13 year old, 8 year old, 7 year old, 2 year old, and 4 babies under the age of 1. I know that we sound NUTS but we had strollers and split up all the kids and went to different stores so we didn't totally scare all the mall employees. I was able to get a few things that I needed and all the kids were on their best behavior.... but then it happened.... My anxiety kicked in. I don't know why it happens but it does. Out of no where I feel like I'm about to panic and everyone around me seems to be talking just a little to loud and the smells in bath and body works starts getting stronger. My boys must have picked up on it because they started to get fussy and it probably didn't help that they both didn't take very long morning naps. It was okay though because we were leaving anyway. We decided who was going with who and who had to go home and who was meeting at my house.
So I headed to my car with my boys and my niece and what little break we had from the weather decided it was done. So I loaded the kids into my car before they could get rained on but I fought with my bags and stroller and got soaked....Yay me! Kollin cried the whole way home and I was ready for a nap myself. When we got back to my house everyone settled down for a bit. The 3 littlest ones took a nap while the 8 year old and 7 year old played and me, my sister mary, and my 13 old niece watched some tv. A couple hours later I started to get antsy so I picked up the house and started making dinner and thats when it all happened......
Within minutes of eachother my boys woke up screaming, the little girls started getting sassy with each other, I found an empty(which was full 2 minutes earlier) bottle of hand sanitizer and still don't know where the contents landed, my nieces glasses got broken, and I burned the crap out of my hand!! Holy Cow I just needed a breather!!! I took a breath.... everyone calmed down.... and we started feeding the babies. Crisis fixed! Right? haha think again.
I took the basket of plants that sits on my kitchen table so we could all sit down for dinner and come to find out I over watered it and my kitchen table is now warped! I had a freak out, directed to no one and sat at the table where everyone looked at me probably thinkin "Holy crap! What side of the bed did she wake up on?" My sister calmed me down and everyone ate dinner with no fussing or fighting. We watched some movies and I calmed down. But when I talked to my husband I broke down... It was like every tiny lttle thing that happened through out the day hit me at once...I started crying and all I could say to him was that I ruined our stupid table and I'm absolutely DONE having kids, because how am I ever supposed to take care of more than the two I have when I feel over whelmed?!!? He told me to calm down and everything would be okay.
My sister took the two little girls home with her. The three baby boys went to bed and my niece and I watched a movie while gorging ourselves in donuts and soda pop...That seem to help:)
Which takes us back to last night where I thought.. How in the heck did my parents handle 10 kids. My thoughts were particularly directed towards my mother because she was a stay at home mom and my dad had to go on business trips quite often. My own husband leaves on trips for work at least once a month.. I'm not saying I want ten children, not AT ALL! But how am I supposed to handle the two that I do have especially when they start crawling, or walking?
this morning I got the answer to my question......... Take it one day at a time, everyday is a new one and they are all different from the last.
Because today.........
All the babies woke up happy after giving me a FULL nights sleep!
All three little boys took baths and ate breakfast without crying.
the twins went down for their morning naps where I got to play with my nephew and talk to my niece and pick up the house with out any drama.
My sister and my oldest niece went to vegas for a day trip like they do every year so I was left with an 8, 7, and 2 year old. Plus my two 5 month old babies...
I kept trying to have a good attitude and I think it payed off.
The little girls have been playing great all day with very little fighting all the little boys have had their naps and have been playing happily.
Its like night and day from how yesterday was. We are having a fun time playing together and I've even been able to keep up with house work through this day too. Maybe it's my attitude that changed, I still don't want ten kids, and we're a few years away from decided if they two we have are enough but right now I'm happy to watch my nieces and nephews any time:) And mom and dad I love you and am so eternally grateful for you and I'm sorry for all the fighting and craziness when I was younger. You are my hero's!
1 comment:
Tabi, I love this post. I feel bad that I asked you to watch all my kids (I know they can be a handful) but I am so grateful that you were willing. I love you. You are a great sister, aunt, and mom.
Post a Comment